FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:03 am
burmans

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I would tend to agree with you under normal circumstances. And there is no doubt some people that took advantage of this were motivated by greed. But many people who post here fly UA regularly and have had to sit idly by while UA has taken advantage of ans even abused some of us over the last 4 months. People were stuck in China for 3 days and UA refused to put them on other carriers to get them home. Others have missed weddings and funerals due to MX's and the new UA refused to either issue refunds or get them to their destinations on other carriers. In short, UA has really abused many many passengers since the merger. Passengers that the old UA would have helped it taken care of. I did not get in on this deal. Not cuz I was against it but because I saw no reason to grab a flight just cuz it's free. I fly enough and have no interest in flying more. Most people got 1-2 tickets for themselves and took advantage of a glitch in an otherwise VERY rigid system that allows no compromise. Some took advantage and IMO I hope UA makes it hard on them to fly. But for most of these people - have a happy trip
+1 on this. I has a recent itinerary where UA truly stuffed me around, on 1 itinerary I had about 7 separate incident worthy of complaint
1) ICN-SFO, arrived at airport flight 5 pm flight cancelled. Took them 3 hours to arrange transport to a hotel. UA staff member tells us "oh this happens maybe 20 days a month!"
2) At hotel get message under door, we will pick you up at 10am for 2 pm flight, but on the bus someone says, actually we are on a 5pm flight. So not only was flight 24 hours late but their messing us around meant we couldn't actually use that time visiting Seoul.
3) Check in took 3 hours as staff didn't really know how to do it! Turned out later they had re-booked and cancelled our flight.
4) SFO-EWR, supposed to be in J but we were downgraded (perhaps if they had known what they were doing at 1), 2), 3) would have been OK. No apologies.
5) EWR-Montreal. Lucky I checked the day before because my booking now says flights is cancelled, spent 2 hours on phone fixing. 1st CSR tells me (after 1/2 hour on hold), you cancelled it so you need to pay $150/ticket and wouldn't be convinced or transfer us to a supervisor. Hang up and rang again, next CSR fortunately did have more than half a brain cell.
6) arrive at airport and checked in, get to gate - sorry your flight is cancelled.
7) Arrive at Montreal, no bags! Fortunately our next flight was AC and they were much more helpful when we got to Vancouver.

So you wonder why people are happy to stiff UA, perhaps because UA stiff them all the time.