FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:48 am
myeurocrush
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chevelter
I was initially intrigued by this situation and now find the whole thing quite depressing. It's disturbing to see this side of human nature. I'm no preacher or moralist and I'm not perfect myself, but I have to wonder what has happened to basic honesty. On top of that, to take such proud public glee in thievery, like this comment. It's beyond my comprehension, truly.

If someone leaves a door unlocked to you tell all your friends and go loot, or do you alert the owner? If your $80 item rings up for 8 cents at checkout do you go back for ten more, or do you tell the clerk there is an obvious mistake?

What is wrong with you people?
You know what.. I make mistakes sometimes too. In fact, no lie, the last intercontinental flight I booked on united, I accidentally booked my return on the wrong day and didn't discover this til the last day. Yes, it was a completely idiotic move but an honest mistake. Of course when I called united to move my flight to one day earlier, not only did I have to spend 53 minutes on the phone with them for this simple task, but the end result was that the fare difference would be over $2500 (economy ticket where the original was around 700). I could not afford this so consequently I paid for my mistake and missed an important meeting at work because I flew back too late.

This is not the first time I’ve unsuccessfully tried to change a ticket. I can go on and on. On many occasions I've been blatantly lied to on the phone by united representatives. They try anything to scrape every last penny out of their customer in cases like this.

I do not understand why it makes me a bad person to want to take a flight that they issued to me by mistake. United doesn't go easy on me when I make a mistake, they never have, and never will.