FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How happy are current GS folks?
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:54 pm
pdx1M

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
For me it is not so much that I am unhappy as that there is less benefit to making GS than in the past. Making GS requires a focusing of spend which means taking UA when there might be better options if looked at in isolation. Some things are better or still ok. The GS phone line is still great and just the other day they converted some R inventory to I so that I could clear some award upgrades so that stuff is good. On the other hand, despite the nominal place in the boarding hierarchy I find little GS benefit at boarding because it is generally chaotic and getting my boarding slot means having to act like an idiot pushing past a herd of credit card holders etc. Also, checkin seems to have really gone downhill - at outstations it seems GSs get to wait behind everyone with Premier Access just to drop off a bag and that I really find inexusable. I personally haven't dealt with IRROPs since 3/3 so can't say there, although there are certainly some worrisome posts on the boards. Overall, I certainly don't get the warm feeling that I did over past years (and I have been GS since the program started). There is no question that I would adjust spend to maintain GS in previous years. This year, if I keep it great but if not that's probably fine too. I just don't think UA currently values the business that a GS represents that much right now.