FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheapest way to get around the Midwest?
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:07 pm
silverthief2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm looking for some information on what is the cheapest public transportation to navigate around the midwestern cities. This is what I currently have in mind for an upcoming extension of my current itinerary.

Buffalo - Cleveland, Cleveland - Detroit, Detroit - Chicago, Chicago - Indianapolis, Indianapolis - Cincinnati, Cincinnati - Columbus, and Columbus - Pittsburgh.

I know Amtrak, Megabus, and Greyhound is available for those options. Which is generally cheaper for each of the routes? How should I go about and do this part of the trip?

Any suggestions for accommodations that are located close to public transportation in those respective cities? My budget is $50 or less. I'm not sure if that can get me anything.
Amtrak will connect you relatively well between Buffalo and Cleveland, and then Detroit and Chicago (from Cleveland to Detroit you have to do one train leg and then change to a bus in Toledo, not the most convenient), but as others have said you may have to contend with arrivals in the middle of the night. If I absolutely had to do this without driving, I suppose I would take Amtrak as far as Chicago and then try Megabus for the remaining legs.

As for accommodations, I'm guessing rooms in hostels could fit your budget. Here's a relatively new one in Detroit that's close to the Megabus stop, and in a somewhat interesting neighborhood: http://www.hosteldetroit.com/index.p...page&Itemid=55

I plugged in some random dates and found rooms between $25 and $30/night. But if you're there, check out Midtown which is more exciting IMO.