FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mechanical problem with rental, but don't want to give up car
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:29 pm
TRD_808

Programs: Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bhunt
Sounds like this is not a warranty issue but if you do have a problem with something that normally would be covered have dealer check first because Hertz buys/leases some cars at a deeply discounted rate and they do not come with a warranty like a normal retail vehicle.

Couple years ago I picked a brand new Chevy Cruze 3 miles on it on a mutlimonth contract. After couple a days relized the AC didn't work took it to a Chevy dealership, it had cracked A/C Condenser that they said would be under warranty. They had it fixed a couple hours later then realized the car did not have warranty coverage on it. Had to fight tooth and nail with Hertz who finally reimbersed me a month later. They said I should of returned it to them because they buy the cars alot cheaper without warranties because they can fix it themselves cheaper.
That's interesting. That must be the ones they lease from the manufacturer and return afterward. My car is an ex-Hertz rental and it had the remainder of the Toyota warranty, as do all the cars they're selling. My gf and aunt both bought cars from Hertz in 2010 and have already used their warranties.

Anyway, yeah, definitely have to return the car to Hertz and let them deal with it. I've only had one car with a mechanical problem and the counter rep was very apologetic and upgraded me to a van which is what I wanted anyway.