FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United: 4 toilets for 200+ economy passengers???
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:05 pm
gobluetwo

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by meb110
Perhaps this is indelicate, but economy travel on United has become akin to youthful adventure travel. Their 767 has FOUR toilets to share among over 200 economy and economy plus passengers. On an overnight flight, in the second row of economy, I made the mistake of trying to pass the curtain to use the business class toilets, as access to mine were blocked by a cart. An indignant steward loudly refused passage! Asking for and being refused the use of a bathroom was a totally new and humiliating experience in my life - and it was on a plane that I paid a lot of money to ride on.

If United truly does not want to provide decent and civilized service to its economy passengers - who fill their planes - why not just stop accepting their business? After 20+ years of loyalty, and even with premier + status, I am so disturbed by this airline's dehumanizing treatment of economy passengers (inedible food, limited toilets, silly separate boarding carpets for different classes of passengers - all passing through the same door!!!) to continue to fly with them.

Sorry United, your new business plan has cost you a long-time, loyal customer. I will travel on one of your many competitors who pride themselves on their service to all of their valued customers.
refused the use of a bathroom - This policy is stated as part of the safety announcements on most airlines I have flown in the US and Europe. Certainly has beens the case on UA, US, DL, AA, and LH. I've also found that if you're polite and explain that the cart is blocking your way, they'll either allow to use the lav, or to go through the galley so you can access the lav from the other aisle. PROTIP: Avoid going to the bathroom at the end of a movie, right before landing, or during drink/meal service.
Dehumanizing treatment - This seems a bit over-the-top. Do you feel dehumanized and humiliated every time someone is rude to you?
inedible food - this is purely subjective. certainly not gourmet, but inedible? Hardly. And, frankly, not very different from their competitors, imo.
limited toilets - Other airlines are the same. 767 configs range from 3 to 6 lavs in economy. United, in fact, has more configurations with 6 lavs (3) than it does configurations with 4 lavs (2). American, US, Delta and Air Canada are no different with respect to this particular aircraft.
silly separate boarding carpets - Many airlines do this, including Delta (Breezeway) and American (Priority AAccess boarding lanes).

Last edited by gobluetwo; Jul 16, 2012 at 4:11 pm