FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Country Inn and Suites Long Island City, New York
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:03 pm
kyushuman

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Country Inn and Suites Long Island City, New York

I went there last week, and seeing no specific reviews of the place on here, thought I'd post my generally positive experiences there.
Paid $99+tax ($117ai) for one night, using AAA rates that were $3 cheaper than Advance Purchase, but also cancellable up to the day before, which was even more beneficial.
Considering that even complete dumps like 2* HoJos near the airports cost more than that, and Manhattan hotels were like $300-- I was thrilled with the experience. As a Gold, seemed to be "upgraded" to a corner room, but facing Crescent Street--it's VERY recommended to avoid facing Crescent, since there is a taxicab company across the street that features random car horn honking 24/7. It's not terrible, but combined with the great views available on the other side, makes Crescent Street-facing rooms pretty bad compared with the city-view.
That said, it was a pretty standard-issue Hampton/Fairfield/HIX breakfast, with a waffle machine, weird egg patties, bagels, etc. The donuts seemed to be from the Dunkin' Donuts down the street, which is of course a good thing (though I didn't try any). I went to breakfast very early, like 630AM, and it was peaceful and pleasant--but by 7AM it was filling up, I'm guessing it's a madhouse from about 8-10AM most days.
Staff at Front Desk barely looked up from their other "work" to acknowledge my presence. Gym looked useable for cardio only-- but basic and small, with newish equipment.
It's a 1-block walk from the N/R/7 subways (connecting to the M60 LGA bus at Astoria station), a 3-block walk to the F train, and a 6-block walk to the E (express to JFK). Which makes it about 15 minutes (including walk!) to 59th and Lexington, the middle of very good shopping in Manhattan. That's closer than if you were staying downtown, so the location is really excellent. Also about 45-60 minutes from both JFK and LGA using the above methods.
AAA rates were only a bit cheaper than prepaid rates, but I also like them because they're changeable/cancellable up to the day before.
Hope this helps!