FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:07 am
finnster

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
However, I guess if they can fill up an F cabin strictly on paid fares, more power to them. Even as an AS fan, I admit that AS F is more of a business class product than a true F product and is not worth paying full price for. I was willing to pay for F with the companion fare, as it made the price "reasonable." There is no way I'm shelling out $2600 for two round-trip F tickets to Hawaii.
Totally agree - their seats are more like economy plus than first or business class. Very few other perks offered any more. I find it irritating that gate agents or FA's rarely enforced things like the boarding priority (crowd standing in front of boarding line makes it difficult to get to priority line) or prevent people from shouldering their way through from economy to get to the bathroom. The last 2 flights to Hawaii i actually had to stand in line, despite this being security issue. Kids messed it up and one poor confused guy fumbled around looking for the door for 5 mins and then forgot to lock it, so the next visitor from economy walked in on him. This all played out in front of the FA with no comment.

I could put up with it if using companion fare, but frankly if paying I expect much better.

Someone earlier commented along the lines that the people using companion fares for first class are more price conscious. I humbly disagree. Anyone price conscious would use companion fares for economy because that is going to be best price. People using companion fares for first must have additional means, and wouldn't you want to attract these purchasers? It certainly meant more money and full fare trips using alaska for me, just out of loyalty. Now i will switch to a different airline. For us the companion cert in first class was the only positive differentiator.