FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA Merchants Reach Credit Card Surcharge Rights Agreement [Effective 1.27.2013]
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:31 pm
travelinfoo

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
It will be interesting to see how all this plays out the rest of the year. I read the earliest the surcharges can take effect is early 2013.

Lots to find out the rest of the year. Which businesses are most likely to impose the surcharge? we all know gas stations for sure since they already offer cash and credit prices.

How about grocery stores? Department stores? restaurants? Also most importantly to us FTers what about online commerce? A credit card is almost a necessity for online shopping. Will amazon, ebay/paypal, surcharge? Will airlines? Hotels? Car rentals?

It gets particularly complicated for online shopping as some states forbid surcharges by law.

I wonder what this will do to current signup bonuses we all know and love? About Jan or Feb 2013 I had planned on cancelling my United explorer card since the annual fee is due and opening up a sapphire preferred instead. Then depending on how next year goes I will decide to cancel or keep the SP. One thing for sure I am for sure never paying a surcharge on a credit card purchase. I won't even enter the store. That was a relief to read at least that if a store will surcharge, it has to be disclosed upfront on the entrance to the store.

will be interesting to see how this plays out.
In my area, several gas stains have a different price for cash & credit. I drive right on by them, esp since their cash price is no different from the "no difference" price 1/4 mile away.
I hope amazon and the other large e-stores don't add the surcharge (I think some are based in surcharge-banned states). I hardly ever step into a real store (except grocery) and won't support a local store that adds the surcharges (sorry, small local business).

I think the airlines and hotels will add the surcharges. They already have in several countries where it is allowed.