FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:53 pm
CVG_Kid

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Special Account Closure Considerations for Combined ThankYou Sponsors

Originally Posted by Happy
By default they would. because once the sponsor account is closed, the associated points expire in 30 days. In most cases, that would be the most close expiration dates.
Happy's assumption is natural but that is not how it works at Citi. Account closure does not change the expiration of ThankYou points. You lose them, or forfeit them, after 30 days. Citi's T&C and Help pages specifically do not refer to this as expiration (or forfeiture) but simply say you'll lose them. There's a probable reason for that: they don't change their expiration date, they just go away.

<No Longer Valid>
Normally, this doesn't matter UNLESS you have combined your accounts. If you have combined your accounts, the fact that the expiration date DOES NOT CHANGE for closed sponsor accounts to close date + 30 means that their original expiration remains the same after close. The implication is that if you have 'stacked' expirations that kayjay refers to, you must use all the points up to the oldest expiring date of the sponsor you're closing in order not to lose any points as the result of your closure.

I know that's a lot. I know it may not be readily accepted until a few try it and post testimonials, but that's how it works. You can verify it after closure by reviewing your expiration dates at ThankYou.com as well as referring to the T&C and Help pages.

I also recognize this is a little muddy so let me give an example:

Kayjay has three sponsors (A,B,C) combined in one ThankYou account with the following point expirations:

12-31-12 1000 typ Sponsor A
2-28-13 1000 typ Sponsor B

4-30-13 1000 typ Sponsor C

If Kayjay chooses to close Sponsor B, he must use 2000 ThankYou points within 30 days of closure in order not to lose any points.

The FIFO rule means that Sponsor A will be used first. Sponsor B's expiration does NOT change, therefore he must use 2000 NOT 1000 in order not to lose points.

Should Kayjay take no action in 30 days, he will lose 1000 points from Sponsor B.

</No Longer Valid>

Last edited by CVG_Kid; Jul 24, 2012 at 9:35 pm