FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:45 pm
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by kdw133
I'm going to revive this thread in desperate hope someone has some info.

After some pretty lengthy discussions on the HH board about honeymoon destinations (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-where-20.html), I decided the Hilton Moorea was the best option. This would require flying into PPT and ferrying over. I have since been disappointed to learn UA/*A only goes to PPT through AKL, and that requires an all-day 12 hour layover on top of the lengthy flights (37 hrs travel time).

Other options I have looked into:
-Obtaining enough AA miles to get there through LAX. (Need 100,000 miles, lots of time and min spend required)
-Flying to HNL on UA and then paying for a Hawaiian Airlines flight HNL-PPT (very expensive, $1100+ per ticket)
-Likewise, obtaining enough HA miles for the HNL-PPT portion (could only acquire enough for one ticket, would still take time and min spend)

Does anyone know of a realistically obtainable way to get to PPT on miles? I have 300,000+ UA miles and 45,000 AA miles. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Edit: Home airport is ORD.

DL miles work too -- both AF and TN. We used DL miles last year to take AF.

While Star Alliance has excellent coverage, this is one of the popular redemption destinations that has poor coverage for Star Alliance, especially from North America.