FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sneaky 'drop fee' in ANC
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:25 pm
robbert

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Sneaky 'drop fee' in ANC

After avoiding Avis for 20 years because of several bad experiences I recently rented for a week in ANC. Normally such a rental would go to Hertz but their rate was more than $200 higher. Airport fees are about $100 so I rented from the Avis downtown location to drop off at the airport. That works fine with Hertz in the US and Europe. My Avis reservation confirmation only mentions no additional fees for this scenario and when I picked the car up there was not a peep about this. But when I dropped the car off, bingo, a $29.90 'drop fee' had to be collected. Turns out it is printed at the bottom of the contract so not much to contest. At that time the downtown location was closed and I had still avoided most of the regular airport fees but still, I really hate these kinds of surprises. The lady at the booth was nice and apologetic, she told me she got a lot of push back for this fee. They should really disclose this better. I guess I'll have to continue my boycott for another 20 years....