FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:48 pm
beltway

Originally Posted by muji
I thought that once I close that credit card account (which I plan to do just prior to renewal time next year) I would lose my ThankYou points. (That's why I was planning to use the points in some way before closing my CITI credit card account next year.) It sounds, however, like you are saying I can in fact close my CITI credit card account and my ThankYou points will remain safe in my ThankYou account (i.e., the points will not expire)
Two different issues are involved:
  • Inherent point expiration: Some points have built-in expiration dates under the terms of the "sponsor account" (card) that earned them, and can expire even if you continue to hold the card. (For a no-fee card like the Citi Forward card, expiration might be a threat if you don't bother using the card for 3 years running.)
  • Card account closure: if you close a "sponsor account," your points suddenly have a very near-term expiration date, regardless of whether they were previously non-expiring.