FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:18 pm
HELflyer

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Call again hope for another agent

In the worst case ask the agent to give you an AMEX plat with the first year fee waived

(I find it funny, that AMEX charges a membership fee - the 15k € minimum spend I mentioned earlier in the thread generates them about 500€ in merchant fees)
I probably will call again, but by that time I must have made the decision if I'm willing to pay the fee, or if I'll tell them I want to cancel the card (and be ready to follow through with that) if they don't budge.

I see the smiley, but do they actually have promo campaigns running at the moment that they could offer a plat (or gold) card with no fee for one year? That would be one solution even if it only puts off the problem until next year...

I have just the green card (didn't see the point of applying and paying for anything more than that), and while I didn't quite reach 15k€ I was not that far from it either, with average spend over 1k€ per month. That must make them several hundred euros of revenue every year, which they apparently are willing to give up for 75€.

I mainly have the card for MR points (the other benefits are nice extras but not something I'd be willing to pay for). I already did the maths before applying for the card, with the assumption that with some decent spend I can get the yearly fees waived, but if that's no longer the case then the card doesn't seem worth keeping. If I could put some 10k€ more through the card each year then maybe, but paying the fees for what I collect currently (while foregoing the benefits I can have by putting the same spend on other cards) just does not seem like a good deal.

Has anyone been successful in getting the fees waived during the past few months?