View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 12, 7:29 am   #1
Aphrodite91

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Asia travel optimization with OW preference

I just went on a trip last month NYC-CPH (3 day stop) - NBO (5 day destination) - NYC all in business for 120K UA miles and had a great time. Thanks flyertalk!

I am trying to plan a trip to Asia this winter. This time, it's a bit complicated as I am trying to work with a few people to get it all done. I have about 120K UA, 100K SPG, 55K AA, 40K US, 80K BA, 35K AS and about to get another 50K BA expected to post in a few weeks. Let's assume no one else can apply for credit cards.

My plan currently is to fly NYC-HNL (stop for 4 days) - REP (destination) - travel around Thailand for 10 days - return HKT-NYC. This is all 120K UA miles in business or 65k in economy. I am planning to spend 120K UA to do this in business and found availability on my dates.

Once one gets into Thailand, short flights are supercheap so I plan to make my way around Thailand to HKT on local airlines.

2 people are going with me to HNL. One lives in SFO and one in LAX and I am thinking I can arrange a use of the Alaska Airlines companion certificate if they can both get in one place.

A third person is meeting me in Asia. I know I can transfer SPG to US Air and have her do an open jaw NYC-REP, HKT-NYC, but I am also trying to see whether I can use the BA/AA miles on this as that allows me to hold on to *A and more SPG. However, flying to REP without miles is expensive and I don't know which alliance airlines fly there other than Asiana. I suppose we can also meet in Phnom Penh and go to Siem Reap together, but it's just so much more convenient to go straight to Siem Reap and go into Thailand once we are done with Angkor Wat.

As a side question, how is Asiana business class? Highly worth it and comparable to Thai/Cathay?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Aphrodite91 is offline   Reply With Quote