FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheapest way to get around the Midwest?
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:23 am
BobH

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm looking for some information on what is the cheapest public transportation to navigate around the midwestern cities. This is what I currently have in mind for an upcoming extension of my current itinerary.

Buffalo - Cleveland, Cleveland - Detroit, Detroit - Chicago, Chicago - Indianapolis, Indianapolis - Cincinnati, Cincinnati - Columbus, and Columbus - Pittsburgh.

I know Amtrak, Megabus, and Greyhound is available for those options. Which is generally cheaper for each of the routes? How should I go about and do this part of the trip?

Any suggestions for accommodations that are located close to public transportation in those respective cities? My budget is $50 or less. I'm not sure if that can get me anything.
Amtrak doesn't even serve Columbus and the times they serve some of the cities you've listed aren't particularly good, unless you like getting off at 2 to 4 AM.

The other thing you need to think about is how are you going to get around once you get to a city

Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago have good rail based mass transit, but the other cities on your list don't.

Also, in Chicago it may be cost effective to stay out near Ohare or Midway and take the el to the loop.

Bob H