FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US$200 stolen from my room in Marriott Reforma, Mexico City
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:03 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The OP acknowledges it was his fault for leaving the $$ in the first place, but that doesn't invalidate his statement that one should be able to leave things in one's personal belongings (such as backpack, luggage, undies, jean pocket) without them being searched by an employee.

And as bdschobel mentions, not everything fits into an in-room safe. My laptop doesn't, and I'm not about to run down to the front desk to check it into their safe (which has a disclaimer/limit on what can be claimed btw) each time I'm in/out of the room.

The OP will have to chalk this up as $200 lesson learned, but the hotel management/security team needs to be informed as well that they have a thief amongst their employees.

Cheers.
'''''''''''

ADDED (not sure what happened to this post): The too-small in room safes are annoying, but most hotels disclaim responsibility for anything left here as opposed to being placed in the hotel's main safe at the front desk.

The OP's homeowner or other insurance might cover this, but cash losses are typically limited and it may be wiser to avoid making small claims. The policy might require a police report, which the hotel management will probably try to discourage.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 6, 2012 at 11:16 pm