FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Starwood hotel in Atlanta?
View Single Post
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:38 pm
jibi

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
If by "touristy stuff," you mean the World of Coca-Cola, the Georgia Aquarium, Centennial Olympic Park, the CNN Studio Tour, etc., then you will want to stay in the Downtown area if you want to be near those destinations. Being no more than a few blocks from all of these destinations will save you a lot of money on Downtown parking. If you go to the Aquarium then CNN, be sure to cut through the park (much quicker). What dates will you be in the city?

The W Downtown is very nice and the most ideal location for all of these destinations. The last time I stayed there, I was upgraded to a suite overlooking the Downtown Connector (the merged I-75 and I-85 highway). I used to be a fan of W hotels until I encountered the 'tude in New York and Chicago. The W Downtown Atlanta is the only domestic W-branded hotel I will stay at now. They have a great pool upstairs that is often hosting parties, so that can be a good thing (if you're able to attend) or a bad thing (a private event). They also have a cash and points option that is sometimes available (4,800 points and $90 cash).

The Westin Peachtree Plaza is an okay hotel, but the only appeal is the shape. The rooms are nothing fancy. The upgrade to a higher room is nice. They are still completing renovations (until later this year) and I've heard that it is not fun to be there in the mornings due to the work ... perhaps the higher floors will help, though?

I put my mom and brother up in two rooms at the Sheraton Downtown for the weekend of my wedding. They were upgraded to Club Level rooms and could not say enough about it. It is a bit further from anything in Downtown (about 2 blocks from the Westin Peachtree Plaza), but it is a nice convention hotel with a Club Level. They also have a killer cash and points option that should help your wallet (2,800 points and $45).

The St. Regis may be worth looking at for a night or two. More often than not, they will often have a cash and points option available that makes it quite affordable (4,800 points and $90). If occupancy is not completely maxed out (for a wedding, etc.), then you will receive an upgrade to a 1,000-sq. ft. St. Regis Suite ... simply stunning. The Grand Deluxe is the minimal upgrade you will receive and that room is rather huge ... if the suite is not available, request a Grand Deluxe with a full balcony overlooking the courtyard (the balconies are massive). At 12,000 points per night, it is one of the best "bang for your buck" properties in the St. Regis brand.

Last edited by jibi; Jul 4, 2012 at 10:46 pm