FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN coming to Branson, Missouri
View Single Post
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:10 pm
traveller001

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
Now, here in the US, the only difference between the two is that the ICAO code has the "K" prefix for international flight plan filings, just like Airnav's listing shows it. I can't think of a single exception to this convention here in the States. Odd..

Lord only knows what the luggage tags will show...
That's how FL had set it up... BKG and more than one pilot had pointed out the discrepancy. Dispatch also read BKG (IIRC). FWIW F9 also used BKG. You wouldn't want a BBG tag...

FlightStats code: BBG
IATA code: BBG
ICAO code: NGTU

Butaritari KI (KIRIBATI) N 3°1'0" E 172°46'0"

So even BBG has a dual identity!!!

As for the airport being able to name exclusive routes... FL started as the first carrier in Branson with a MSP-MKE-BKG same aircraft through flight. Something they thought would perform. And it was gaining travellers... Until BKG granted Sun Country the direct route. I think BKG made a bad decision on that one. Jeopardizing both routes. FL's MKE-BKG ended shortly after Sun Country began. F9 picked up MKE-BKG and it too was short lived. BKG is no longer on the Sun Country route map. I believe all of those had some guarantee of load levels. But without feed from MSP...

So as I see it if WN wants to increase anything to BKG they have to have a sitdown with the airport and explain how feed works to avoid repeating that mistake.

BKG also has a bit of problem... it was setup to promote Branson not BKG. If BKG also promoted itself as an alternative to SGF (AA UA & DL) or COU (DL).... when FL's MKE-BKG was running it was surprising how many Springfield area passengers found it easier and often more cost effective than SGF. WN could do that promotion to connect to the system... If it works add more flights and Branson still likely wins.

Last edited by traveller001; Jul 4, 2012 at 10:52 pm