FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should passengers refuse UA VDB offers in order to maximize oversale compensation?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:21 am
PHLGovFlyer

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I am elite so I would benefit from this idea...but, why should an elite get priority on the bump list? Shouldn't it just be ranked by who volunteers first? Not sure what elite status has to do with bumping.

A non-elite can volunteer when the gate opens and sit around for an hour and an elite can saunter up to the gate 15 minutes before boarding and jump the bump list? Not sure that is fair...
Originally Posted by Often1
Elites don't get priority. On UA, it's the GA's discretion, but there is a list based on fare paid for IDB purposes.

Anecdotally, originating pax, flying non-stop, single pax on PNR w. no checked bags get the jump on others. Easiest to rebook, generally happy to spend the night at home and no bags to pull.
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Please re-read my post.

PHLGovFlyer said (s)he thought elite status should factor into the decision. I asked him/her why.

I didn't ask if UA currently considers elite status.
Yes, I really do think that elites should get priority for VDBs. We already get priority for seat assignments, E+, boarding, upgrades, baggage handling, check in, security, etc. etc. so I see nothing wrong with giving more frequent customers greater consideration in VDB opportunities. In fact, the current non-prioritized system requires me to hover around the gate area prior to the GA arriving and there's often a bit of a scrum to get in line when the announcement is made. Very cumbersome and open to a lot of gaming. It also means that I can't use the lounge membership that I've paid for. Bad form all around.

PMUA's system was very effective. There was a computerized list that could be accessed by any GA anywhere and any traveler could be added for any flight. No jostling in a line, no hovering by the gate. Simply get on the list, depart the lounge, show up at the gate about 10 minutes prior to boarding and speak to the GA. The list was already prioritized by status, however, the GA for a particular flight could use their discretion and take a lower or non-status pax if it made more sense operationally or cost wise. I was "jumped" by non-status pax on the VDB list several times as a 1k because (for example) I would have needed a hotel and the non-status pax did not.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Jul 4, 2012 at 4:27 am