FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Favorite ethnic breakfast
View Single Post
Old Jul 4, 2012, 2:26 am
uszkanni

Favorite ethnic breakfast

There's been a couple of threads on breakfasts, but I don't remember seeing this one....

I was perusing the Matmid forum and came across an Israeli breakfast called "shakshuka." It's basically eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce/stew consisting of diced tomatos, onions, garlic, bell peppers, jalapenos or other chiles sauteed in olive oil. Very Mediterannean. As I was reading the recipe I thought to myself that, as a breakfast, this dish sounded really, really horrible.

But it got me to thinking about which ethnic breakfasts I did like. Two on my list are:

Scottish:
Oatmeal with a splash of cream, bacon and sausages, haggis, kippers and/or smokies, eggs, sauteed mushrooms, toast or scones with marmalade, hot and strong coffee. I can live without the baked beans and tomatoes.

Thai:
Chok/Jok. Rice porridge loaded with lots of stuff: ginger, green onions, egg and whatever seems to be left lying around (could be pork, chicken, duck blood, shrimp, etc., etc., etc.). Mixed spicy and accompanied with an ice cold beer.

What do others hunger for?