FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:57 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
While we're at it, let's get juries involved in any civil issue as well regardless of size, like small claims matters. What better way to decide if a landlord should be able to keep a $200 security deposit than with 12 impartial jurors that carefully deliberate the facts of each and every case?

Oh! Parking tickets, too! Why, just the other day I got a $35 parking ticket. I didn't deserve it -- the meter malfunctioned. I am pleased to know that I can summon 12 people to decide whether I really owe the city $35, especially when I know the cost of summoning those 12 people will be far greater than that $35.

</sarcasm>

Jury trials are much more complicated than "Hey, let's get 12 people in a room to vote guilty or not guilty." Jurors have to be properly selected, determined to be impartial, subjected to peremptory challenges, educated on the law via instructions from the judge, and so on. Traffic courts, small claims courts, and the like often hear 20+ cases in a single 3 hour session.

Speeding tickets aren't criminal matters. Neither are parking tickets. Neither are security deposits. They don't meet the standard afforded by the 6th Amendment. They *certainly* don't justify the volume of resources as one would get if facing incarceration and a criminal record.
A government taking of life, liberty or property -- including via administrative means -- should be addressable by a jury trial. If the government can't afford enforcement via jury trial, then perhaps it ought not to be a priority for the government in the least despite the calls from the apologists of government administrative power over US persons.