FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questions on getting from HK Airport to Macau
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:51 pm
chubbuni13

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
Questions on getting from HK Airport to Macau

Hi everyone,

I've been to HK several times before, but never took the ferry directly from the airport to Macau. Taking off July 3 and arriving approximately 5:30am on July 5th on CX 883 from LAX. I have a lunch meeting at 1pm, so I'm hoping that I can get there with time to spare but I'd appreciate some help from the HK/Macau experts as I have a few questions:

1. Do I need to collect my luggage at HKIA or not? I know the first ferry takes off at 10AM from the airport, and I've read conflicting things about whether or not my luggage would be automatically processed to Macau or whether I'd have to pick it up in HK. On that note, what's the best place to purchase my tickets or should I pre-buy them online? Leaving tomorrow night, so I guess if I should prebuy, I better get on it now.

2. Also, I have 4 hours between my flight arrival and the first ferry out to Macau. Which lounge can I wait at to kill time? In my research, I saw that there was a small Arrivals lounge at the airport, but I read that you have to clear customs and it's outside of security. I wouldn't want to have to go to the hassle if that's the case, but any suggestions on where to hang out would be great.

3. Speaking of customs: do I have to clear at HKIA or can I just do it in Macau? Again, reading conflicting accounts.

Thanks very much for your help!