FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW
Old Jul 1, 2012, 4:18 pm
d00little

Originally Posted by d00little
Hello, I'm new to the world of Flyertalk and the mini-RTW, but I have been reading about it for a few months. I plan on booking one in F next year, but I would like to start getting an idea now for a possible itinerary.

I'm originating from Calgary and the only part of the trip which is a must is a one-week stop in Tokyo.

To avoid taxes and fees I'm hoping to fly on Swiss Air, Turkish Airlines and Asiana Airlines.

I was hoping my stop cities would be Prague, Seoul and Hong Kong (HK could be less than 24 hours).

Just off the top of my head, I was thinking of something like this:

YYC-???-ZRH-PRG(stop)-IST-HKG(longer layover)-NRT(stop)-ICN(stop)-???-YYC

I think the segments up till Hong Kong should be fine, but then I'm not sure what airlines I would take from there. Also, if coming back over the Pacific, going to Seoul would actually be going backwards. I would consider coming back over the Atlantic if I can avoid fees.

Any advice or tips from veterans would be appreciated.
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
You should be able to. But consider a very important point about YQ. If you're flying F, you're kind of missing out on a huge part of the experience if you are determined to avoid it. Consider:

- LH's first class terminal in FRA
- TG's lounge in BKK
- LH 747 beds
- TG F suites
- phenomenal OZ service

Also, TK has no F (but no YQ, and excellent J product), so don't waste a segment on that.

I'd suggest (assuming availability) YYC-YUL-ZRH-PRG, PRG-FRA-BKK-HKG, HKG-NRT, NRT-ICN-LAX-YYC. Oh yeah you'll get hit with pretty big YQ, but you'll try all of the above - which is easily worth the $1.5K in my view. If the only goal is to save YQ you should consider flying J, since some of the YQ-less airlines are so bad it's not worth wasting F points on them (UA).
Thanks, that's some great info. I guess 1.5K isn't too bad for everything you're getting.

I actually was considering flying in J at first, until work travel had me racking up quite a few miles in the past 6 months. I currently only have enough for J and since I might be travelling less in the future, I might not have enough for F by the end of the year (unless Aeroplan has another upgrade deal).

If going J and trying to avoid YQ, what route would others recommend if trying to hit the cities I listed above?