FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some hotels with free Wi-Fi consider charging for it
Old Jul 1, 2012, 3:56 pm
peachfront

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Why do they do these things? Because a lot of rich people are just plain stupid, sorry rich people, but most rich people are also so stupid they don't read (even the internet) so I'm probably not offending TOO many flyer talkers here. If you have your choice of customers, you would rather have the stupid ones, wouldn't you? A smart person can stay at Comfort Inn and have all kinds of room, free wifi, free fridge free breakfast, room safe, microwave, and so on...the stupid person stays at the Hyatt and has a tiny room with nothing in it unless you pay all kinds of fees. It costs money to be stupid. A lot of money. But I chuckle at the like of Super 8 thinking to go this route. They will have no customers. No rich stupid fool will stumble into the Super 8, and the middle class serious person who has to use his or head head to survive will simply go to Comfort Inn or Best Western. Or does Super 8 want to get in a golden showering match with Motel 6, who also nickles and dimes you for every little thing? Enjoy the race to the bottom...

Originally Posted by Jorgen

Why do they do these things? I mean, I know the short answer is "because they can", but is the extra profit they make by selling these things at a ridiculous markup really sufficient to overcome the damage they're doing to their brand? I have a personal vendetta against Hyatt right now who tried to charge me $4.36 for a bottle of water I didn't even drink (or see!) -- was it really worth it, Hyatt?

Imagine if airlines worked the same way. Economy-class passengers get to use the restroom for free, but First-Class passengers have to pay nine bucks a pop. Hey, they've already told us they're price-insensitive, let's gouge 'em some more!