FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reborn! Southwest is matching Frontier status and up to 50k miles (Wisconsin only)
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:26 am
spankytoes

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by ssk1127
I tend to take a different view here - I think F9 has a right to be angry and cut off the loophole, and charities end up as the big losers. WN should be ashamed of themselves for exploiting a beneficial, charity-oriented program for business purposes. It's sleazy, and in my eyes, knocks WN further down the ladder towards being just another greedy corporation. They should apologize to the charities they've caused to miss out on the opportunity to transport people in need.
How are the charities being exploited? F9 recinded the program. WN has agreed to match mileage accounts with their own point system. If one were inclined to donate to charities, they could do so with the points that WN matched so that people could get their flights. It is up to the recipient, not WN, to follow through with that.

If anything, WN is giving the charities the opportunity to reach their goal since F9 bowed out on them.