FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Likelihood of clearing the wait list?" thread (International)
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:24 pm
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by star_world
How shocking that you're selective about your quoting and leaving out the piece that led to it being misleading by the agent:
With all due respect, I did acknowledge that statement here:

Originally Posted by channa
In fact the agent did say the poster could try at the airport if it did not clear in advance.
I even used the word "try" like the agent used, which seems to be the word causing your consternation.

This is where the agent sent the OP in the wrong direction and created unnecessary worry. This might have gone unnoticed by you since the approach the agent took is actually quite like the approach you frequently take here The agent could have said "if your upgrade doesn't clear before the 24hr window you'll be moved to the airport standby list when you check in". That's the process, and that's what happens in the vast majority of cases. But by positioning it as a vague "you could try" the agent is giving the OP the belief that there isn't a process here and that they have very little chance of it working.
My read of the "try" part wasn't as literal, and I don't believe that suggests there is no process. I took it to mean the agent suggested he may get it at the airport.

Your choice of words indicates the customer will be moved with certainty to an airport upgrade list. This sets the expectation for the system to work properly, which if often does not based on what we know and have seen.

It's not actually surprising - the agent was probably a PMUA one and isn't entirely familiar with the process or how it works.
Or maybe the agent is very familiar with the process and realizes through day-to-day interaction how unreliable it is, and as such, does not want to over-promise something.

Better and more training is required
I agree. But not for the agent, rather for the IT people who wrote this technology garbage that doesn't work right in the first place.

So I genuinely do believe that the agent is misinformed - not because what they said to the OP is categorically false, but because it is highly misleading as it fails to refer to the actual process that is in place for clearing these types of upgrades.
But your proposed wording also misleads because it sets the expectation that the process actually works, while there are plenty of situations where it doesn't.

I would much rather have an agent alert me to potential pitfalls and weaknesses rather than use rosy-colored glasses to pretend all is well and send me into potential trouble.