FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:46 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by cs57
Using "timetableimages.com.timages/5j.htm" I found service that jlemon talks about. It seems that "Private Jet" operated service from ATL to MDW and MIA, and MDW to MIA. Their logo was "the personal,affordable airline".
Interesting! The timetable shown does not show the less than daily service to DFW and Virgin Islands service that jlemon indicates, as the above timetable image is from August, 1993
I found the National (5J) schedule info referenced in my above post in the Sept. 15, 1994 edition of the OAG.

I think this version of National may have been actually operated by Southeast Airlines as there is a reference in the Wikipedia article concerning the original NA that states "National's Sun King logo was sold and repackaged to appear upon the branding of low cost startup carrier Southeast Airlines" (or something to that effect).

And I've now found a FIFTH version of National Airlines and this is one appears to be currently in operation. This latest version of National is based at the Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, MI and operates B747-400 cargo aircraft as well as B757-200 passenger aircraft. This charter airline is also attempting to have Combi version of the B757-200 certified and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of National Air Cargo Holdings, Inc.

So to answer your question, WHBM, it appears we like to "recycle" our airline names on this side of the pond!

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 26, 2012 at 8:15 am