FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More Reason for Discomfort
View Single Post
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:30 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
OK, don't laugh. I own a cannon.

It is a black powder cannon, 2" bore. I used to take it to Independence Day picnics and set it off a couple of times. It makes a huge noise and lots of smoke. At night, the muzzle flash is awesome. I never shoot projectiles except for tight wads to allow proper breech pressure and big boom. And I mean big. Louder than any fireworks.

I have not shot it in a few years because of no opportunity, but it is perfectly shootable. It is safe as long as one remembers the absolute three rules of cannon shooting: Do not stand in front of it. Do not stand behind it. Swab the bore.

To shoot the cannon I need 6-7 Oz of 1F powder and some 3 or 4F for the vent hole if I am going to touch it off. I usually use cannon fuse of about 3 seconds/inch and avoid the 3 or 4F.

My first question: If I go and buy that stuff to shoot my cannon, will I get put on a list? I buy from a huge blank powder supply house in the area.

My second question: What is the best soap to get blank powder residue off my skin before the next time I fly?

A third question that is completely informational: Can I bring cannon fuse on the plane? What about checked? (It is probably considered an incendiary.)

Yes, these are serious questions.
My answer to the first question is to just pay cash.

I come from California where you can no longer even buy sparklers, let alone fire crackers (well, legally at least...). But over the past few years I've driven across America west to east, and north to south and back again and been amazed at what you can buy in fireworks stores in Indiana, West Virginia, South Carolina and parts of Pennsylvania. In one store in SC the guy tried to sell me a mortar and rockets for an industrial level fireworks show. Forget checking my ID, he'd seen the envelop of cash in my bag (I know, my bad for letting him see it).