FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:04 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
The moving on of the Delta DC10s to United was lined up from the beginning, and the five aircraft were ordered from McDD by United and leased to Delta, presumably with some if/when we decide clause that allowed Delta to determine how they would be handed back, if ever, as the order was placed at the height of the Tristar/Rolls-Royce development crisis. They actually stayed in service for quite some time after the Tristars began to finally show up.
It's interesting to see how equipment moves around within the airline industry.

Back when I lived in SBA, a number of Pan Am DC-10s were cycled through the large aviation maintenance facility located on the airfield at the time on their way to American. I believe a number of these DC-10s were originally operated by National. And I also think that some of these AA operated DC-10s may have then been subsequently flown by Hawaiian but am not sure with regard to specific aircraft.

Speaking of aircraft previously flown by another operator, we have a FedEx MD-11 sitting on the ramp this morning just down the taxiway from my office here at ARA getting ready for a ferry flight back to MEM after emerging from the AvEx paint hangar over the weekend. It would be interesting to know the history of this aircraft!