FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:23 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
As for TUS vs. GYR(Goodyear), I haven't been to either for a couple of years but last time I'd say the number of 'inmates' was about the same at each. GYR used to have a lot stored there but I think it's been in decline for some years now.
The main airport in Tucson was once a moderate sized aircraft boneyard. In recent years, the airport has required more room as traffic into and out of Tucson has grown. The result is that aircraft storage has become less of a business at Tucson International. There are still a few older retired military aircraft as well as a few retired airliners stored at Tucson International. The vast majority are on the west side of the airport in the area of the WWII-era Consolidated factory. Like the old Consolidated buildings, the aircraft are mostly just rotting away.

It has recently been reported that the aircraft in storage at the Tucson Airport have been scrapped or otherwise disposed of. A recent view in Google Earth shows about two dozen narrow body airliners parked at the old Consolidated ramp.

As for Phoenix/Goodyear, (the old NAS Litchfield Park), I was there three years ago and took these photos. Sorry they're not sharply focused but they're the best I could do from way out on the highway...

Additionally, you are correct that Continental is the other airline that operated the 737-100/200/300. ^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm