FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:13 pm
ExpatSomchai

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Well, you're in for a treat! But not having been abroad as an adult does explain some of your questions here and re cooking in the room in the Conrad Koh Samui thread in the Hilton forum. So just to offer some more general advice, now that I understand your situation better...and please don't view this as condescending, I'm erring her on the side of your not being familiar with some aspects of international travel:

1. You might want to explore websites or buy a book offering some kind of introduction to travelers to Thailand (and I believe you're going to Hong Kong, also). I'm no expert, but there are cultural things like not pointing your feet at people while sitting or (I believe) not patting kids on the head. And practical stuff like how to keep your valuables secure and to beware of scams.
2. Plus be aware that in Thailand you'll run into folks who speak relatively little English or, even in the hotels, whose English is far from fluent. It helps to learn some basic Thai words. And in the many exchanges where you do speak English, try to do so slowly and clearly.
3. Not to assume that you're a yokel, but drop the idea of having a hot plate for cooking in the room. And when at any of the hotels you're visiting, don't play music on your balcony or deck the way you might at some places in the USA. In the room with the doors closed is fine, of course. Also, be aware that folks will appreciate your talking quietly when out on your deck or in public spaces.

I realize you probably know much of this, but just wanted to offer some advice. Hope you take it in the constructive spirit in which it's given.
Just to clarify your second point. In Thai culture the feet are the dirtiest part of the body and the head the most important. It is the soles of the feet which should not be directed at any person. As for touching the head of anyone it is a no no.

Thai people will respect you if you respect them.