FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Experience with Aeroflot? Good, Bad and Ugly
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:31 am
woody125

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mr H
I flew Novosibirsk to Vnukovo in 1989. The flight had flies on board.

The catering was poor - a cold leg of chicken (served in a brown plastic bowl with teeth marks around the edge) and a tin of fruit juice. To the cabin crew's surprise I had a can opener which did the round of the plane - so the crew presumably had fewer tins of juice to give out on the return flight. They also had to work out what to do with a plane load of opened and unwanted rancid juice.

The flight crew spent much of the flight looking at a stream of vapourising fuel leaking out of the right hand wing.
1989? Not sure that's germane to the discussion.

I've done 70k on SU this year. I love 'em. I guess it really depends on what you expect and how long you've been with them. From my start in 92 I see so much improvement all the way around I feel like I'm flying in luxury every time now. You won't get Southeastern USA kind of sweetness from the on board staff but they'll be competent and professional. If you get a smile, it's probably because you really do deserve it.

Newest fleet among all European carriers or so I've heard on FT (must be true) and best Business Class product among all European carriers (heard it and experienced it myself).

I do LAX to SVO to OVB a lot and love the A330's out of LAX. AVOD is top notch and I find the catering on all flights to be above what I get on Delta domestically or internationally. As a Gold Elite I get greeted by 2 or 3 pursers on each flight and thanked for my loyalty.

Lounge access at SVO D/E is quite nice in my book. Free wifi, tons to drink, not as much to eat but hydration is more important, yes?

The new SVO is a jewel compared to old SVO/DME/VKO. It's spacious, well lit, well signed, and offers lots of dining options though all are typically airport quality. TGI Friday's is TGI Friday's but 3x as expensive as it should be. Starbucks is in the AeroExpress terminal should you have time/desire to venture outside the airport via the walkway (covered, indoor and lined with shops) from between D/E.

I'm betting you'll be pleased with this choice. Either way, report back and enjoy your trip!