FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving a U-Haul Colorado Springs to Seattle, which route?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:03 pm
cblaisd
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
As for your route choice, there is no way I would take a u-haul on mtns roads like Hwy 24/9 in CO unless I absolutely had to. Keeping it on the freeway would be best (in my opinion).
Just spoke with someone who drives Breckenridge to Colorado Springs twice a week. He STRONGLY concurs with your point of view and says that there are some very windy spots and with no extra climbing lanes. He said even going west of Denver the climb to Eisenhower Tunnel is relatively shallow grade and there are extra lanes.

Besides, gas prices are higher in those mtn towns. As for route 1, if you go an extra 100 miles or so to Rock Springs hotel prices are cheaper (more selection). It would be worth driving the extra 2 hours or so for a savings of 25-35%.
You're right about that. $79 versus $129 for a decent HHonors property. I wish I knew better a) what time I can pull out of town (I'm hoping by noon, or even earlier), and b) whether I want to try to pull all the way to Rock Springs/Green River after having loaded and being uncertain of departure time (313 miles versus 435)