FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cybersecurity: what precautions in China?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:48 pm
Scifience

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by orville nmn wright
I'm not particularly concerned about what a hacker might take out of my computer/cellphone (although like everyone I certainly have some info that could present identity theft issues). I'm more interested in what could be put in-- installed without my knowledge. Spyware.
IMO, that NYT article is classic scaremongering. Spyware is just as big a problem in the US as in China or anywhere else. You're equally likely to get emailed a trojan, targeted for a phishing scheme, or accidentally come across a malicious website at home or at the Starbucks down the street as you are in China. You should always be taking precautions against such attacks regardless of where you are located. Keep your software and operating system up to date, don't open random attachments, don't respond to phishing emails, etc. Your guard should be up against these things everywhere.

Unless your background makes you especially likely to be a target of industrial or governmental espionage, where someone would have a very strong incentive to specifically target you, there is no significantly greater or lesser risk of being victimised by spyware in any given country. A random attack is no more likely abroad than at home.

As everyone else has said, stop worrying and enjoy your trip.