FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 2:37 am
eightblack
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well you know, I did think about it a bit before posting my three comments and decided that where many of the comments here try hard to be really polite to the point of being downright circumspect, I felt a more direct tone might convey my thoughts with a better chance towards affecting change, particularly with regard to pre-trip advertisements and blog links which alot of people claim to dislike but don't really know what to do about rather than to politely voice their displeasure, which has thus far changed nothing. While I can see where to some I might sound unhappy or even downright mean, mainly I chose to make my point (which a fair number of others apparently also share) in a manner that might possibly set in motion the mechanisms of real change.

On the other hand, one could just as easily argue for a more diplomatic approach, especially here at FlyerTalk. As such, from here on I think I'll stick to writing trip reports and leave the judgment calls to others. Additionally, in the interest of a less abrasive commentary on heavily photographed trip reports, I have re-written my above comments in a kinder and gentler tone.

I look forward to reading many more great reports here at the Trip Report forum as well as an end to drive by blog linking and "Trip Report Coming Up" threads.
I think if there is someone who has earned the right to make the comments you made, it is certainly you. I'm not really fussed about the blog linking nor does it keep me awake at night if someone pre-advertises their upcoming trip. If I don't like it, I don't read it or subscribe.

What makes FT is the diversity. I do get sick and tired of the political correctness - but that's a wider issue.

I get that not everyone can write well, and that some people pour for hours over a keyboard - and to many the only true measure of success is by either the quantity or quality of comments received. After all, it would take a unique person to simply write a detailed trip report and not care one way or the other if he/she received any comments.