FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Prefered seats out of control
View Single Post
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:02 pm
Bowgie

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
I had an unfriendly DL Preferred Seat Monetization (PSM) discussion with DL yesterday. I don't know what exactly caused the problem that I had, but DL is apparently going to work this PSM thing pretty aggressively. When did they start charging for these seats for non-status flyers? It isn't very customer friendly to charge to have families sit together when all other possibilities have been exhausted. In an extreme scenario, DL can effectively control strategic access to seats rendering it impossible for families to sit together without (paying).

...but I was mildly taken aback when this PSM initiative impacted me and all DL had to offer was "show me the money."
I think it's a given that airlines are already squeezing money out of non-status flyers for "options" like adjacent seats.

The only thing that puzzles me about your post is why YOU are having trouble getting adjacent seats for you family without paying extra. Your profile says "DL Diamond" Isn't the whole coach cabin available for seat assignment at the time of booking (all on the same PNR)? To maximize your first class upgrade chances, you can split the PNR later. My understanding that splitting the PNR after initial booking leaves the original seat assignment intact. (Unless there is a flight change, which is why the PNR should not be split far in advance.)

Yeah, I can see non-status flyers having trouble with seat assignments, but a Diamond's family?

Last edited by Bowgie; Jun 8, 2012 at 10:44 pm