FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Prefered seats out of control
View Single Post
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:36 pm
RustyC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I''m sure something like this has already been mentioned, but I got an idea of the writing on the wall a couple of years ago when I was on a full Spirit flight and some 20-something guy couldn't understand why he wasn't assigned next to his girlfriend when they were both on the same reservation (he just sorta assumed they'd be assigned seats together). He hadn't paid for seat reservations, though, and the FAs either didn't know or wouldn't say that he might have assumed too much that they'd be together. (The guy traded his way to a seat next to the girl).

Where this is heading is that airlines are looking at making people PAY to sit together, especially with the larger the number wanting to be together *3 or 4 would be more difficult than 2, for example).

And once the public realizes what's going on and consumer reporters and other media get complaints of families of 4 being scattered to 4 middle seats even though they didn't buy last-minute or go standby, I think there will be a big backlash. Air travel is already in serious trouble with leisure-traveling families and other non-captives, who often get to pay $100 or more in total taxes on 4 domestic tickets, try to carry on everything to avoid another $100 in bag fees (a policy that will bend the future growth cruve downward(, go through security and now possibly face more tens of dollars in seat fees just to sit together. No wonder theyll go on a car trip instead or, at best, take Southwest.

Once again I suspect airlines will be tone-deaf to the complaints and the long-term implications for the business.