FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Prefered seats out of control
View Single Post
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:12 pm
plagwate

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
From one 30075er to another...

Originally Posted by ag30075
Well, I had the pleasure of sitting by the lavatory with my kids once - when I asked a GA for help - so not my solution anymore. And it's not fun at all - smells bad, noisy and bumpy. Me and my kids have traveled with Airtran and Frontier and their formula seems to work better than this gambling with Delta - they ask upfront to pay for the seats if the passenger wants specific seats - and yes I have paid to be in a window towards the front of the plane with my son next to me in both Airtran and Frontier.
With Delta - is there any way to know - at time of booking - that you can fly in a window seat and a middle (together) towards the front of the plane? if there is a way I would love to know even if it involves money - and no I will not fly more often (hate to fly but love vacations) to get status.
Some clarity upfront is desirable - traveling with kids is stressful - airports, airlines and airplanes are simply not kid friendly (I should say they are very unfriendly/hostile places to everyone these days, unfortunately). Knowing at booking were you will seat is important to me - and as I read in the post to most travelers.
PS I love this forum - tons of great tips and advice!
The difference is diversity in fleet configurations. AirTran has one type of 737 and one type 717. That's it. They can easily be swapped like your kids' Garanimals. On the other hand, Delta has multiple types of 757 aircraft due to the various acquisitions that have occurred over the years. It's just not feasible for them to swap out for identical aircraft whenever there is a mechanical problem or weather delay upstream in the schedule.