FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thrifty UK appear to be moving from BMW to Audi
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:39 pm
Dazedwards

Originally Posted by stuabroad
Any idea what the Premium Auto Audi A4 is like in terms of trim? I was thinking we might upgrade to the BMW M-Sport estate...not sure what the Audi quality is like?

We're renting for 20 days and I want a decent car to travel in! In emails to Thrifty at the rental location, they said they can't guarantee anything. If they have no Audi's available - does anyone know what else they would substitute with?

Thanks in advance...
I deal with them on a weekly basis, I own a UK computer company and we hire long term from them.
The 3 Series they have are the old spec 3 series, we gave all our 3 series back in March 2012 as BMW did not let them have any of the new model 3 series released in UK March/April 2012. They were all snapped up by private consumers. I gave my 11 plate 3 - M-Sport Touring back and they gave me an a4 s-line with 7 miles on the clock.

Audi gave thirty a good deal, the cars in the premium range are all S-Line specification (google audi site). They replace the BMW's on 11 or 61 plates with the new audis. The only BMW models they have are the January/February Old Spec 3 Series still on a 12 plate, that at the time are 5 years old in design. They are just waiting to hit 12,000 miles and be returned to BMW.

Where are you picking the audi up from? All thrifty dealers in the UK are independent? They also charge airport premium by the DAY, so if you don't need to pick it up from the airport and can make your way to the hotel/relatives etc you could save £7-£10 a day by using a thrifty not based in an airport.

They Take a £150 deposit and you can pay at the end, they work on full fuel return so fill it up as they charge a premium if they fill it back up.

Recovery is included on all rentals.
Tires and Glass will require a payment if they happen, if its a tyre, take it to a garage in the UK and get it repaired they will match the tyre and charge you half the price than the service they send out under repair that is in the contract.
Glass will blow out the excess that can be up to £600 on a UK vehicle, so Autoglass will save you money.

If you report glass or tyre to Thrifty they will charge you and not accept the repair/replacement.

Another tip, if you get anything clipped or scratches, have it repaired before return BY A MAIN DEALER!

I had my wing mirror broken on my 320 M-Sport, BMW charged me £105 for a replacement and I got the Main Dealer Bills etc, Thrifty would have taken the £600 Excess if I had returned the car with a damaged wing mirror.

When I Swapped it for the Audio, I just Gave them the receipt from the Main Dealer and that was it, it goes on the history of the car, they are happy...

I hope the above Helps.