FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $724 LAX HNL is a "sale"?
View Single Post
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:01 am
4BandE

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Originally Posted by GroundStop
I've been watching these fares closely for the past 6 weeks for a trip at the end of July from SFO-KOA.

Price back then was $980 r/t, has since come down to $780. Award buckets were WIDE open on basically every day I looked at, and the seat maps were equally wide open (both remain so) so I booked saver awards for the significant others.....

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I'm waiting on the flights to drop a little more before pulling the trigger on my own $$ ticket. The $780 fare currently books in S bucket, and with pax loads so low I'm banking on them opening up T or L at some point in the next few weeks.

As I said, maybe a crazy strategy, but I'm willing to take the risk right now....
Same situation. I was looking at flight for next week a couple of weeks ago and they were in the $900+ range for SFO-HNL even with many empty seats. Finally got a $671 fare yesterday for next Tuesday (S bucket). My family is traveling on saver awards which are plentiful for June through August. I've never seen so many saver awards available!

I would think these high fares are a burden to the Hawaii economy for travel from the mainland. If fares are too high, then it really doesn't matter what the hotel cost is especially if you are traveling with a family of 4+. And making sales now won't do much as families will just make other summer vacation plans.