FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA to extend match status given EXP to UA 1Ks for flying 55K
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:47 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by DFWDave
No, not duh...taking a new job with heavy international travel, I certainly was able to make a choice, no different than a 1K member. My future travel was no less innevitable than an existing 1K who they are trying to lure (plus a track record of loyalty when the travel did exist)

Again, if they are willing to instantly match EXP status and then extend it based on a lower mileage threshold, they should be equally willing to offer a challenge to an existing customer who is ramping up consistent travel later in the year in the form of a challenge. If you could complete something like 55,000 miles in 3/4 months, then grant EXP or something like that.

Again, based on the benefits, I never would have thought the later was necessary until they started offering the former. I'm not questioning the logic of the UA offer, but it warrants a steep challenge equivalent for existing customers that can meet it.

I didn't propose EXP status based on no flying at all, if you read my post, but that is exactly what 1K members got via match without a challenge involved.
I think the short answer to your concern is that AA can't calibrate it's offers to please everyone and that it is most interested in attracting new customers. In the best of all possible marketing worlds, it might well target folks in your position. But that involves a level of precision it understandably can't achieve.

Originally Posted by brp
OK, we'll just have to disagree about whether different standards should be applied to poaching UA customers to incenting underachieving (so far) current AA customers based on possible future increases.

Cheers.
+1

Even if there's an argument to be made for making an extra effort to retain current AA customers, there's a bigger one for attracting dissatisfied FFers from another airline.

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Just did.....so since I'm new...someone might be able to help me. I just booked 30,000 miles of I/A fares tonight....am I correct this will translate to 45,000 qualifying miles and I'm almost to the 55,000 I need?

Other question...AA does the 500 seg minimum right? So 750 EQM on an I fare?
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Your 30K miles in these premium fares will translate to 45K elite qualifying points. You need either 55K miles or points to requalify, so yeah, you'll almost be there. And yes, the 500-mile minimum per segment will net you 750 minimum points. Best to read the forum FAQ to solidify your knowledge about the subtleties of AA's elite qualifying points, miles, and segments. It can be kind of confusing to newcomers
Good explanation by SG. Just to expand on it a bit and provide some general background, you achieve status on AA by either accumulating either elite qualifying miles or elite qualifying points. Either one will get you there. Virtually all AA flights, no matter how discounted a ticket, get you one EQM per mile flown. EQPs differ according to the ticketing code. E.g., discounted economy tickets only get you .5 EQPs per mile flown. But business class tickets get you 1.5 EQPS per mile flown. So you can reach EXP by flying 100K miles in discounted economy (yielding 100K EQMs) or via 66.7K miles in business (yielding 100K EQPs).