FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:37 pm
mikew99

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Critic
Alright, I'll be the one to ask it.

You're 1K. Which means you already get access to the elite lane and you can be cleared for PreCheck when it goes live at SFO (among other airports) in a few weeks. Why spend the money on CLEAR?

(BTW - CLEAR doesn't actually get you 'faster security'. You get to bypass the line to the TDC. You still have to take your shoes off, assume the position, get scanned, etc.)
I'll field this one:

(1) Pre-Check doesn't work on UA yet. (I have used it with AA and look forward to using it with UA.)
(2) The Elite line now contains all elites, not just 1K & GS as before, and the line can get quite long at some times of day.
(3) I already spent money on CLEAR years ago, and the new CLEAR is respecting the balance of time on my previous account.

That said, I'm not sure I'd pay to renew CLEAR unless they can get TSA to streamline the screening process itself (as Pre-Check does).