FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott to buy all Gaylord properties
View Single Post
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:46 am
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Muerz
I know the Grande Lakes, have been staying there close to 100 nights and it is actually one of my favorite Marriotts. But I believe that the World Center has 2000 rooms (the JW only 1000) and I also think that the World Center has much more convention space!
But in terms of feel, the Gaylord hotels feel much bigger, and seem to have more convention space than either of those properties.

From Wikipedia (not always the most reliable) - The largest hotels in the world:

24. Cosmopolitan (LV - Actually Paradise): 2,995 Rooms
28. Gaylord Opryland (Nashville): 2,881
54. (tie) Marriott World Center (Orlando): 2,000
54. (tie) Gaylord National (DC/MD): 2,000
62. NY Marriott Marquis (NYC): 1,949
74. Atlanta Marriott Marquis (ATL): 1,675
85. JW/Ritz Grande Lakes (Orlando): 1,584

91. Gaylord Texan (Grapevine): 1,511
93. Marriott Marquis (San Francisco): 1,500
97. Gaylord Palms (Orlando): 1,406

The Cosmo is different, in that it's on the strip.

The Marquis properties are in the middle of cities, which makes them somewhat destination properties in their own right - people stay at the SF/NY/ATL Marquis because they are going to be in the city, not just because of a conference - and also means there is entertainment and dining right outside the hotel door. Gaylord properties are self contained resorts. I can remember leaving the Nashville property after a four day stay and realizing I hadn't been outside the entire time.

Even the World Center tends to rely on the Disney attractions more than being its own self contained resort. Maybe the Gaylord Palms does, too. That's the one I have not been to.

The Grande Lakes property is the only one that comes close to Gaylord hotels in terms of style and feel, but even it isn't that similar.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jun 3, 2012 at 7:52 am