FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:23 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Slow_Mustang
+1. BTW, I was just playing a word game with the other poster about reading only posts which are at least 3 months old.
We’re cool - I understood your comment and saw the emoticon. I was just using your quote as a foil to make my point. ^

One more thing that I think would contribute to a “great” trip report, especially photo-reports focusing primarily upon a specific airline's aircraft and service, is to be a bit more judicious in the use of photographs. I've seen more than a few flight oriented reports here where the reporter/photographer will load up their report with a gazillion photos including shots of basic, everyday things like the check-in area or the doorway to their airline lounge or a crowded gate lounge and jetway. Worse yet, some reports include multiple photos of scintillating subjects like arm rest controls (Five different angles!) or four different pictures of the chopsticks accompanying the meal or pictures of the galley area or the sink in the airline lavatory.

Think. Just because the picture was taken doesn't mean it has to be included in the trip report. Might I recommend that instead of posting every single photo taken, post a link to the photo host site where interested readers can revel at leisure over all 97 photos from the flight between Milwaukee and Chicago.

Reports with an excess of photos take a lot longer for computers to load and honestly, I strongly suspect that very few readers really want to see five different photographed angles of the appetizer or check-in counters or lounge seating areas when just one or at most two or three will suffice nicely. I don't know about others here, but when confronted with reports that are loaded up with excessive photography of things like hotel hallways, crowded gate lounges and normal everyday legroom between seats, I tend to lose interest real quickly and just move on to another report.

And one last thing. Please DON'T post blurry photos as part of the trip report. Honestly, what's the point? It's a lousy photo - just dump it and move on. Or post a link to the photo host site where people who so desire can look over all of the photos - blurry and all.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 20, 2012 at 1:01 am