FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does WN Recycle Business Select Boarding Positions?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:33 am
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
It's been mentioned in several threads here that it's possible to check in late and receive a "recycled" low-number boarding position, but I can't recall anyone ever before reporting receiving a recycled BS boarding position (A-15 or less).

This makes sense somewhat; I can understand re-allocating low A positions, since that would make it easier for the GA to (try to, at least) enforce boarding order without lots of gaps, I suppose. But BS positions should only ever be allocated to BS customers; and as reported here, that's not even the case in some last-minute situations.

Ideally, WN shouldn't recycle any positions *except* BS -- instead of re-opening a low A spot after a cancellation, the system should simply add an additional spot to the C group. This would mean there could possibly be C numbers higher than C23, but I think that's better than putting random people ahead of those who purchased EBCI. I suspect WN's system's aren't sophisticated enough for this, or the programmers simply didn't plan for such situations.
I may not have been clear, but I did buy Business Select on the last minute change, which may explain the recycle. If A-1 and canceled, and I got his BS slot for a sold out BS, they had to issue A-1 to me. They could not issue A-15a. Like I said, the BS line was packed. I may have gotten the only BS slot.

Interesting side note: As a COS I preboard, so the A-1 position is kind of funny. I have to preboard to clear their boarding screen properly as XS seats must be cleared before general boarding or the FA has to hold an XS for a connection or late arrival. If it were not for this, I could "swap" my BS or A+ boarding position with a high C or B. Oh, I would not sell it, but tips are appreciated.