FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:40 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not waste my avios for Intra-Europe Club World - the business class intra-Europe really is just a glorified coach seat but between the 2 seats you have a very strange "middle seat" that cannot be seated (very tiny) therefore it is "blocked" to give you some space which is virtually useless as neither one of you sitting on each side could make use of the space to enhance your own seat.

If you really want to experience premium cabin travel TATL on BA, and do not mind to pay the YQ that is more or less equal to a coach ticket on sale (and earns you miles), then yeah, using the Avios for a TATL trip in Club World may be worth it if you view it as paying for a coach ticket but travel in business.

That would NOT be my choice to use Avios though.

Avios is best to be used on Short Haul, SINGLE segment flights - be it in domestic US on AA or AS, or in Asia on CX or in South America on LAN, where intra-South America tickets are insanely expensive for foreigners, or intra-Africa would work well also. You dont pay YQ for domestic US, nor intra-South America. You do pay YQ (but not outrageously) on intra-Asia or intra-Africa. However since flights in those regions are not cheap, despite there are LCCs in Asia, the flights are still expensive when compared to the LCCs in Europe.

To give you some examples:

From MIA where I am, Avios would be great for Caribbeans if one wish to go, or Bermuda, or Eastern Canada.

From West Coast, Hawaii is a no brainer choice if you like Hawaii. Or up and down the West Coast on AS.

Intra-Asia, HKG-TPE R/T is only 9K Avios + $90 taxes and fees. A pay ticket often runs $300 if the ticket validity is longer than 7 days. Flights between Mainland China and Hong Kong are good candidates as well. Even routes between HKG and SE Asia are candidates.
Domestic Japan is also a very good value redemption. HND-CTS R/T is only 9K. I forgot how much is the taxes + fees - definitely cheaper than buying a ticket or taking a bullet train. (only up to the tunnel to Hokkaido, then you need to change to regular train - a very long train ride from Tokyo to Sapporo.)

Intra-South America the flights are insanely expensive for foreigners. Great to have Avios to redeem for LAN's flights on the cheap and no YQ to boot.

An FT friend has redeemed 9K Avios each for a r/t ticket between JNB and Victoria Falls that would cost $450 to buy... and he needs 5 tickets for the whole family...

Finally, if you have needs to travel to non-hub airports domestically and on a last-minute notice, then Avios is truly your money-saver in this scenario.

You also need to think outside the box, such as using other means (be it award or cheap fare) to position you to start an Avios redemption because each segment costs you additional Avios. Or, going from ORD to TPA on 7.5K then rent a car for a drive to MIA, your real destination where you would need a rental car anyway, instead of using 10K...

Lots of ways to skin the cat... ah, make the most out of your Avios.

Too many newbies do not want to spend time to really understand a program to find the optimal usage for their travel needs... It takes knowledge to know how to maximize what you have. Knowledge takes time and effort to acquire...

As a parting note on this off topic discussion, someone already posted this extremely useful calculator on this thread. I think I would repost this again.

http://www.wandr.me/Avios-Calculator.aspx

This would give you an idea on how much Avios would cost you on the SAME origin/destination but different routing.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 3, 2012 at 10:09 pm Reason: correct airport code