FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unknown person is using my points for a poor value stay
Old May 31, 12, 6:41 pm
catharsis

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by iamthehpt View Post
The police did NOT say this wasn't theft or fraud. Just that I was NOT the victim, because PC will make me whole by redepositing my points. I faced the same issue several years ago when a check I had written got stolen in the mail, "washed," and forged. The police would NOT take a report from me because I wasn't the victim because the bank redeposited the funds into my account. The bank was the victim, so any report had to come from the bank. By the way, I do NOT agree that I was not the victim in either of these circumstances.
Police have no business making statements like these.

you are reporting a crime.
1. One does not need to be the victim to report a crime (murder anyone?!)
2. One does not need to be at financial loss to remain the victim of a crime (sorry officer, but since you got my money back from this mugger when you caught up with him I am 'mad whole' and so there is no way for me to press charges)

the police may well be correct that you can not press charges, but have no business telling you that you cannot make a report - they would appear to be trying to avoid paperwork.