FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unknown person is using my points for a poor value stay
Old May 31, 2012, 12:54 pm
NJUPINTHEAIR
Suspended

Originally Posted by MagicWok
That is an interesting question. Mostly, points are earned through personal spend - so there is some sense there that the ownership comes with the member.

I guess however, IHG reserves the right to close accounts/seize points etc that supersedes that for say, in the "interest of the company", or "safety' etc etc. I am sure they can come up with multiple reasons.

This has been an interesting thread to read.

I personally think that the Hotel, PC and the Police have all acted extremely poorly. Regardless if the person staying in the room is innocent for whatever reason, all three failed to take ownership of the problem and be proactive. Poor form.
That is an interesting question, as no doubt the OP and all of us have conferred some kind of consideration for the points, whether we bought them outright, or they were awarded for a credit card spend or from a hotel stay. Nevertheless, the program does retain the right to close the account due to fraud.

I'm sure this has been litigated somewhere, if not in small claims court, where a program withdrew the points and closed the account b/c of fraud or some other reason, and there were a boatload of points and the owner sued. Likely of no precedential value, and the case would turn on the complex facts of the case.