FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Summer Bonus 2012 Promotion Offer
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2012, 4:12 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

next MegaMiles announced: July through October: triple miles starting with 2nd stay

Originally Posted by sard
Anyone have any idea if there will be a megamiles offer, and what it might be?
It showed up in my Promotion Central yesterday afternoon (it was not there yesterday morning).

It's triple miles on a large list of airlines (including Southwest*), starting with your 2nd (miles-earning) stay, between the start of July and the end of October. No limit as far as I can tell.

*Southwest is critical to me because I normally do one-night stays at inexpensive hotels (or hotels made inexpensive via LNF!), and most other airlines you only earn miles proportional to your spend, and so even tripled may not be that much on such stays. But Southwest earns a flat 600 RR 2.0 points (worth $10 in WGA redemptions), and thus tripling it means a flat 1800 RR 2.0 points (worth $30 in WGA redemptions) on every stay, no matter how cheap. (A $60 stay at a 1 mile/$ brand would earn only 60 miles normally and 180 miles tripled, and even at a 2 mile/$ brand would earn only 120 miles normally and 360 miles tripled, which cannot possible be worth anywhere close to $30.) So for me, this bonus only works because I can use it for Southwest (if I wasn't collecting Southwest, it would be useless promo for me).

(Remember, you have to have your earning preference set to miles to be able to see a MegaMiles promo in your Promotion Central. You only have to switch to miles momentarily, go back to Promotion Central, register, and then you can switch back to points, assuming you want to do the points promo first in June since the miles promo doesn't start until July.)